Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 10 mins
Total time: 20 mins
The perfect mixture of granola, yogurt, and fresh fruit is enough to make my heart skip a beat… This delicious dish was crafted over 100 years ago, by a Swiss physician named Maximilian Bircher after tasting oats soaked in milk during a hike in the Swiss Alps. He called in Muesli. After hearing this story, Switzerland, the Alps, and physicians just jumped high on my list of favorites… Bircher introduced Muesli to patients in his hospital, and it was instantly a hit. The fresh fruits, wholesome yogurt, and power packed nuts and seeds he swore was his secret to short hospital stays. Bircher Muesli has been served for decades throughout Northern Europe, and numerous recipes of Muesli have been crafted and served around the world. What we know as a muesli, granola, or a parfait, is really a small gift from heaven. Sometimes I eat it twice a day… Yes, it is that good. As a girl who loves adventure, the outdoors, and anything “granola”, it’s no wonder why I love Muesli so much. For me it is s dessert, something that I look forward to every morning and often every evening. I have started the habit of beginning and ending my days with things that are both healthy and rewarding.
- 2 cups old fashioned oats
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups plain yogurt
- 2 apples, cored and grated with peel
- 2 Tbs lemon juice
- 1 Tbs honey
- 1 dash of Cinnamon
- Toppings: your favorite fresh fruit and nuts
- Pictured Toppings: bananas, apricots, and walnuts.
- Cook Old Fashioned oats in boiling water for exactly 1 minute. Remove from heat, strain, and rinse with cold water until oats are cold.
- Grate the apples and cover with lemon juice. Combine the oats, milk, yogurt, apple, honey, and cinnamon together and stir.
- Top with fresh fruits and nuts. Enjoy.